Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Some People Are Worth Melting For

One of my friends Jocelyn is in love with Frozen, and I'm sure a lot of you are too! Thanks to her I finally watched Frozen (only 2 months late!) and I'm glad I did because the soundtrack is my new baking jam! It's funny how those songs apply to absolutely everything! Let-it-go for the bad recipes, for-the-first-time-in-forever for the new recipes and my personal favorite, #somyaneverbotheredmeanyway for every occasion 
For my friend's birthday I decided to try to make themed cupcakes, which I've never done before. Pictures online show cupcakes with lots of fondant, but personally I think fondant is really artificial-tasting and dough-y so I decided to try something different!
I made icicle decorations and cupcake wrappers, too, to decorate my red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.

Icicle Decorations:
1/4 cup sugar
2-3 tbsp water
1 drop of blue food coloring

1. In a saucepan on medium heat, add sugar and water.
2. Mix with spoon until well combined (mixture should boil). 
3. Add a drop of food coloring.
4. Pour on silicone baking sheet. (in strands, like in the picture below)
5. When icicles cool they are ready to use as decorations. 

The bottom left of the try shows thicker "icebergs" while the thinner strands elsewhere will form "icicles". A combination of both looks great on the cupcakes!
 I made cupcake wrappers too which help the cupcakes look more personalized! I bought scrapbook paper from Michaels (or any local crafts store) and cut out cupcake templates, which can be found online.
For some reason the cupcake still didn't look Frozen enough for me, so I added an Olaf on the top :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment