Monday, February 17, 2014

Snickerdoodle Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting

Happy Monday :)
Last night my friend Hima (check out her blog here!) and I decided to have a baking adventure and make Snickerdoodle Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting. 
This cupcake tastes like Churros, so with all the cinnamon, it's a bit of an acquired taste. 

Snickerdoodle Cupcake Recipe: (adapted from Alpineberry)
Cupcake Batter:
3 cups cake flour
1    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt 
12 ounces (3 sticks / 1.5 cups) unsalted butter, softened at room temp
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs 
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
 1   1/4 cups (10 fl. oz.) buttermilk
Cinnamon-Sugar Topping:

1 tbsp granulated sugar combined with 1 tsp ground cinnamon


1. Sift dry ingredients
2. Combine wet ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer
3. Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients by alternating additions with buttermilk!
4. Fill cupcake wells 2/3 with batter. Dust tops of cupcake with Cinnamon-sugar topping.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350degrees. 
Note: The batter turned out to be viscous. To prevent this, try adding more buttermilk or butter until the batter becomes softer. 

Even though I was really insistent on not using cream cheese in the frosting, I think it turned out delicious :) and it's definitely a great addition to make buttercream frosting less sugary. 
Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting Recipe:
2 sticks unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 stick cream cheese
4 cups confectioners sugar (sifted)
8 tbsp milk 
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon 

1. Beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy (not-chunky! This step is important if you want your frosting to reach a good consistency)
2. Sift in sugar, milk and vanilla
3. Mix on low until incorporated (Don't over-mix. This causes the frosting to be too runny)

I was frosting with Hima's tip yesterday and I think I finally know what love is<3 Wilton's tip 4B is absolutely gorgeous<33333! It's really smooth and easy to pipe with! 



6 comments:

  1. These look great Somya!! I look forward to seeing many more baking adventures on here. Hopefully, I'll be in one soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi cutie! Thanks for encouraging my first blog post! I can't wait to bake with you soon. Let me know when you're free :)

      Delete
  2. I think I know what love is when I hang out with you! ;)) I'm still obsessed with the taste- thanks for suggesting them Somya! Looking forward to make bakeventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww<3 Thanks Hima for coming over to bake with me and helping me blog :) You're such an inspiration and an amazing friend and I can't wait until we bake again!

      Delete
  3. Can I just point out that we have the same kitchen aid!!!! *We are soul sisters!!!!!* This recipe looks awesome- I am going to have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay kitchen-aid soul sisters :) You should definitely try it! It's absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete